Have you ever wondered how to go from an idea to app with Flutter? In our new Flutter From Scratch video series Lewis Cianci shows the whole process.
Flutter From Scratch series covers everything from how to make an attractive looking app on Android Studio and architecting it correctly all the way to getting the configuration right on Codemagic CI/CD to ship your app to app stores.
Episode 2: Flutter Project Structure and Widgets
In this episode, we look at how a Flutter project is structured on the filesystem, and then we begin to look at how widgets are rendered into the user interface. You don’t have to have any prior knowledge of Flutter to watch this episode.
- 1:14 - App preview
- 1:41 - Project layout 101
- 2:18 - Touring the widget tree
- 2:35 - The widget tree…from scratch
- 3:15 - What is a widget?
- 4:33 - Configuring widgets by parameters
- 5:12 - Our first child widget
- 6:00 - Rapidly navigating through our project
- 6:39 - Our first StatefulWidget and StatelessWidget
- 7:15 - initState in our StatefulWidget
- To get started, please clone the Sonder example app
- You should have Android Studio set up and configured on your computer to get the most out of this episode. If you don’t already have that, you can learn how to do that from the first episode.
If you have any questions or something you definitely want to be covered in the upcoming episodes, let us know on the Codemagic Slack channel.
Be sure to subscribe to Codemagic Youtube channel to see our next episodes!
Lewis Cianci is a software developer in Brisbane, Australia. His first computer had a tape drive. He’s been developing software for at least ten years, and has used quite a few mobile development frameworks (like Ionic and Xamarin Forms) in his time. After converting to Flutter, though, he’s never going back. You can reach him at his blog, read about other non-fluttery things at Medium, or maybe catch a glimpse of him at your nearest and most fanciest coffee shop with him and his dear wife.
More videos and articles by Lewis: